Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Free Advice - Worth what you pay for it?

Well it has been nearly a week since I started this blog. Enough time for me to reflect on a few things.

What strikes me most (apart from how easy it is to "exercise free speech") is that commercially it is also free.

Admittedly, you need some resources to be able to create a blog, but the cost of hosting with Google is currently free.

This has prompted me to 'muse' on other aspects of freedom and I'd like to share some thoughts on Free Advice.

First some (humble) opinions ;-)

I never cease to be amazed at the generosity of the web community. You reach out seeking to enhance your knowledge or awareness on some topic and someone out there has either published useful information or is prepared interactively to help you out.

Big deal you might say, but in the commercial world we live in advice comes in two forms

  • Infromation I have and you are going to pay for it
  • Information I have and I'm happy to share it (no matter what it cost me!)

The first is commercial and understandable; the second is rarer and altruistic (and ultimately free to the user)

So, perhaps the adage that advice is worth what you pay for it (i.e. implying that if it is free it is worth nothing) is wrong.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

So........share!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home